When is it OK to update a solution instead of resolving a solution?

Topics: Solving, 4.2a

Thread index  |  Previous thread  |  Next thread  |  Start a new discussion

RSS FeedRSS feed   |   Email notificationsTurn on email notifications   |   2 Replies   Last post: June 26, 2013 9:42pm UTC
Patrick Kirby

Patrick Kirby

June 26, 2013 8:06pm UTC

When is it OK to update a solution instead of resolving a solution?

Hello,

I am currently working on a model, and as most models this model has a large number of parameters. I'd like to model these parameters and see the results and was wondering if it is necessary to rerun the entire simulation or simply update the solution? If it matters I am trying to solve for laminar flow and would like to see the changes which result from changing the fluid viscosity. I am also working on solving mass transport and would like to do similar things with the parameters incorporated in that model.

Please advise

Thanks

Pat

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Send private message  |  Report Abuse

Edgar J. Kaiser

Edgar J. Kaiser
Certified Consultant
emPhys Physical Technology

June 26, 2013 8:39pm UTC in response to Patrick Kirby

Re: When is it OK to update a solution instead of resolving a solution?

Hi Pat,

if the parameters change the physically relevant geometry, material properties or boundary conditions you have to re-solve the model.

If you only add geometry elements like points, lines and surfaces for postprocessing (without a physical impact to the model, i.e. without adding boundary conditions) I think it is sufficient to update the solution. This will then make these entities available for selection in the post processing.

That's my two cents, I can't guarantee that it is the complete picture. In my modeling experience I never came across a parameter study that didn't require solving the model for each parameter dimension and parameter step.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com

Patrick Kirby

Patrick Kirby

June 26, 2013 9:42pm UTC in response to Edgar J. Kaiser

Re: When is it OK to update a solution instead of resolving a solution?

Hey Edgar,

Thanks for your response! Your response seems very logical, and what I felt as well.

Thanks and have a good one!

Par

Rules and guidelines